- El mamey es considerado un tipo de zapote.
- El zapote blanco también es conocido como pera mexicana.
- Mamey is regarded as a type of sapote.
- The white sapote is also known as the Mexican pear.
It is the fruit of a tree that grows from 12 to 30 meters in height. Its straight trunk has pink inner bark, smells of almonds, has a bitter taste, produces large quantities of white latex, and grows whitish flowers.
The sapote is a soft and sweet tropical fruit common in Mexico. A number of sapote varieties are grown in Mexico, including the black sapote, white sapote, and chicozapote (sapodilla).
Sapote is a source of vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B3, and C. It also provides minerals: calcium, iron, and phosphorous. The sapote is an ideal fruit to lower high blood pressure.
Sapote is commonly consumed as fresh fruit. Its pulp can also be made into desserts or marmalades.
- Yucatán is the state with the highest production of sapote, which represents 63 percent of the total volume nationwide.
- The latex obtained from the trunk of the chicozapote (sapodilla) tree was the traditional basis for making chewing gum.
- Outside of Mexico the black sapote is known as chocolate pudding fruit.
- Hidalgo is the state with the highest yellow sapote production in Mexico.