• Yucatán has the Designation of Origin for the habanero chile.
  • It is regarded as the spiciest chile in Mexico.

According to historical data the habanero chile reached Mexico, the Yucatán region, in the nineteenth century.

It is shaped like a small top. It is green when it is tender and fresh and changes color as it matures, when it is usually yellow or orange. 

Mexico and Belize are the only countries that export habanero chile, generally in the form of paste for preparation in salsas.

No

Nutricional Value: 

The habanero chile is a good source of vitamin C. It is said to help prevent stomach, colon, and intestinal cancer.

Preparation: 

As a product native to Mexico, the habanero chile plays an important role in the economy of states such as Yucatán and Tabasco. 

It can be eaten raw, toasted on the griddle, or cooked. Generally the habanero chile is used to prepare very spicy salsas.

Basic Facts: 
  • The Mexican habanero chile is one of the five spiciest chiles in the world.
  • 80 percent of the habanero chile production in Mexico is sold as fresh, while the remaining 20 percent is used to make salsas or is dried.
  • Yucatán is the leading state in habanero chile production in Mexico.
  • Mexico exports habanero chile to the United States, Japan, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany.
  • On the Scoville scale that measures the pungency of chiles, the habanero ranges between 100 thousand to 445 thousand, making it Mexico’s hottest chile.
Regions: 
These are the states with the highest habanero chile production during 2014:
1. Yucatán
2. Quintana Roo
3. Chiapas
Season: 
Year round.
ENE ENE
FEB FEB
MAR MAR
ABR ABR
MAY MAY
JUN JUN
JUL JUL
AGO AGO
SEP SEP
OCT OCT
NOV NOV
DIC DIC

Moderate Production

Abundant Production