- The Spanish word for strawberry, fresa, comes from the French fraise
- The strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside of the skin
A native of the world’s temperate regions, this fruit has many uses. It is an important input for the food industry. The strawberry plant is a perennial herb, in other words it lives more than a year. In optimum conditions, it can grow to two to three meters long, although normally it does not exceed forty centimeters.
The zone most apt for the production of this fruit is between a thousand three hundred and two thousand meters above sea level.
Strawberries help lower blood pressure and they are an excellent antioxidant. They have large amounts of vitamin C, so they help prevent various ailments.
Strawberries are used above all in baking to make cakes, tarts, mousses, and soufflés, as well as candy. Strawberries are also made into jellies and jams.
- Mexico ranks second among strawberry producers worldwide
- El mayor productor es Estados UnidosThe United States ranks first in global strawberry production
- Annual strawberry consumption averages 1.6 kg per person
- The leading buyers for Mexican strawberries are the United States and Canada, which buy 97 and 2 percent respectively of the total volume of exports
- Mexico produces 8 of every 100 tons of strawberries consumed worldwide