- These are also referred to as little fruit, forest fruit, or moras.
- Berries encompass various edible fruit, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cranberries, and redcurrants, among others.
Small, juicy, sweet or sweet-and-sour, and brightly colored: these are perhaps the main characteristics of berries. Their flavor is delicious, but above all, they are extremely healthy. Many pastry chefs prefer them, not only for their flavor, but also for their beauty. And they combine very well with salads and even with main dishes.
Berry production in Mexico has been promoted in recent years. Now large quantities are exported to various countries, although domestic consumption should be fostered as well.
Berries are rich in antioxidants and help to prevent some ailments, such as cardiovascular disease and even some kinds of cancer. They are also a healthy option for individuals with diabetes. Specialists recommend eating them every day.
They are the leading ingredient in all sorts of jams, desserts, and salads. They also add a lot of flavor to main dishes. Nevertheless, it is best to eat them raw and fresh.
- In berry production the volume of blackberries represents 76.1 percent, followed by raspberries and blueberries with 17.9 and 6 percent, respectively.
- The Michoacán countryside produces 75 percent of the berries produced in Mexico.
- Annual consumption per capita is 0.7 kg.
- Mexico ranks fourth among world berry producers (8.2 percent of world production)
- The United States ranks first among world berry producers.